PDA

View Full Version : [QUESTION] Should leagues be based on straight ELO or your ranking?

Knightified
01-31-2017, 03:29 AM
Meaning, should we keep the current system or switch to a system where the top 5% get Lion, next 10% get bear, etc. (I'm pulling those %'s out of thin air since I don't actually know how many players typically play PvP in a given season. So they would need to be adjusted probably)

To me it just seems like with people ending the season with 2000+ ELO and most everyone getting a lion chest the other leagues are pretty pointless. And if you add new leagues it will just continue to be like this assuming that their ELO resets to that league's minimum value (1100 for Lion) at end of season.

smilesnow
02-01-2017, 01:51 AM
I was hoping that we can have this system.

Pheenix
02-01-2017, 10:51 AM
But would you still get the same issue with one person having two accounts and 'playing' themselves to get the top spots?

If that situation continues then the whole concept of leagues (i.e. bragging rights on getting the top spot) is fairly pointless, it'll always go to the people manipulating the system rather than the people playing the game how it should be.

smilesnow
02-03-2017, 06:34 AM
But would you still get the same issue with one person having two accounts and 'playing' themselves to get the top spots?

If that situation continues then the whole concept of leagues (i.e. bragging rights on getting the top spot) is fairly pointless, it'll always go to the people manipulating the system rather than the people playing the game how it should be.

They can simply forbid two players battle each other continuously since there are relatively more players to the game now. And if they do implement a rank system that is based on the percentage of participants, they might also set a limit for the number of arena battles
In one season to prevent players fighting constantly to farm elos. For example, the first 200 matches in one season generate elos and starting from the 201 match only exp and chests but no more elos.

Knightified
02-03-2017, 07:07 AM
They can simply forbid two players battle each other continuously since there are relatively more players to the game now. And if they do implement a rank system that is based on the percentage of participants, they might also set a limit for the number of arena battles
In one season to prevent players fighting constantly to farm elos. For example, the first 200 matches in one season generate elos and starting from the 201 match only exp and chests but no more elos.

They wouldn't suspend ELO after a certain amount, but they could certainly change the algorithm to forbid players from constantly playing against only each other. There's plenty of ways to get around the issue of farming.

kalagula
02-03-2017, 08:33 AM
No way. The top 5% would ensure that only people who are literally grind this 12 hours a day would get in the top league. The normal players who can only play a little bit at the time would just lose interest, since they would be guaranteed to fail.

ProudSpud
02-06-2017, 03:23 AM
I'm with kalagula on this one. This types of systems tend to pick out only the ones who have hours to spend on the game. Sometimes not even the actual good players get what they deserve because there's someone with just a few more points than them.

Trust me, I've seen this happen in many of the mayor FPS games (though they actually need to select only a few players for their tournaments).

The system they have actually allows players to reach a decent prize simply by their performance in the arena, not because they had the time to grind points and reach the "Top 500" of the entire world. Which might not sound as a big of a deal, but many of us could only dream of reaching these rankings.

Now, I know the game is very RNG dependent, and its mostly a matter of luck and being able to play your cards correctly that determines a win or a loss. Yet that adds to giving a chance to players who can't spend much time on the game. For example, even if you're paired against a higher level player you still have a chace to win with good combos and good hero placement and management.

Sorry to have ranted this long, just wanted to give my point of view. Cheers.