PDA

View Full Version : The Devil is in the Details...

Franklyn Musgrave
12-18-2013, 01:19 AM
The other day I noticed 4 leather straps coming off of my Leechlord's belt...In D&D there was this guy who wore a belt like that and attach a child to each "leash" and when you inflicted damage upon him, he would leech life off his prisoners. So to kill him, you had to kill the children.

Also, if you look at the symbol on the silver BOUNTY Bug's hat, it is very similar to the symbol worn by Mandalorians of Star Wars fame...who are by the way known for being employed as bounty hunters throughout the galaxy.

Very nice touches, Kobojo.

Markus Walter
12-19-2013, 01:52 PM
Uhm...most of the creatures on Mutants are overdrawn from all kinds of Games, Movies and animes. Leech Lord is Alukard from Castlevania, Enforcer is Robocop, Iron Man from more than 1 Movie, We have Alien, a Gargoyle that had fit well into the cartoon, they created the fish guy from Hellboy in a different way and even without your interpretation of the sign its pretty obvious that bounty bug is based on the mentioned mandalorians. Since its made like a cowboys hat I doubt they gave that much thought into the sign on it...its simply a bulls skull. Also highly doubt they based the belt of Leech Lord on a creature from a written and buyable adventure from Ravenloft. Thats just too far off.

Sure, the devl is in the detail and I love most of the mutants made so far...also hope they give all future Mutants the same effort as those already created but lets rather enjoy how they look and play the game than ramble about some sort of conspiracy in the way they animate and draw their muants ^^

Brian Rooney
12-19-2013, 10:26 PM
Enforcer, no need to explain.
Xenos, see Enforcer.
Sentry, see Xenos
Master Oida, see Sentry
Pit Lord looks like the Balrog, or "Feral" Chaos.
Bounty Bug resembles Cad Bane with a tophat.
Leech Lord is the "Updated" Alucard
Stealthbot resembles Eva-01
Ghostmonaught seems like an expy of Captain Vladimir of No More Heroes 2
Techno Taoist is a Expy of Goku and Vegito
Astro Surfer seems like Dr. Manhatten, with a touch of Silver Surfer
And Shellshock.
HOW THE HELL DID GODZILLA MISS THAT?

Joseph Foster
12-20-2013, 12:55 AM
I (think) that there is a copywrite rule that is you change something more than 30% (or some number) then you cant be done for copyright infringement, you just cant call it the same name (including pheonetic spelling) or making it exactly the same. At least I (think) that is the case.
I would like to see a cylon battlestar galactica mutant. galactic + cyber

Markus Walter
12-20-2013, 01:32 AM
Copyright Rule is 30% but you can nearly drop that if you just change the drawing style if its something cartoon like. thats why Techno Taoist Bronze looks nearly exactly like Vegito. Leech Lord also is VERY close to the border and if you ask me Enforcer crossed that <-<

@ Brian Rooney: thanks for the listing...couldn't get all done in my post ^^

Brian Rooney
12-20-2013, 01:45 AM
A few more pop culture referances, shall we.
Doctor Who - Dalek's and or Weeping Angels: Galactic + Cyber, Mythic + Galactic
Tremors - Graboids or Shriekers: Beast
MLP:FiM-Rainbow Dash and or Twilight Sparkle: Both Mythic + Zoomorph
Pikachu from Pokemon(Or any other easy to recognize mon...) Beast + (Mythic, Saber, Necro, Cyber)

Brian Rooney
12-20-2013, 01:58 AM
Continued from my first post on this thread.
Reskined Android looks like Quorra with her helmet from the Tron Movies.
Deus Machina may as well be Jinzo's Brother.
Standard Zombie is a combination of the common infected and Smoker from L4D, or Licker and vanilla zombie for Resident Evil
Martian Marader might fit in well with the Protoss of Starcraft
Standard Beast looks like Sabrewulf of Killer Instinct

Jakub Topolski
12-20-2013, 03:59 AM
Standard Beast looks like Sabrewulf of Killer Instinct

wow, someone remembers Killer Instinct:)

Franklyn Musgrave
12-22-2013, 02:47 AM
Uhm...most of the creatures on Mutants are overdrawn from all kinds of Games, Movies and animes. Leech Lord is Alukard from Castlevania, Enforcer is Robocop, Iron Man from more than 1 Movie, We have Alien, a Gargoyle that had fit well into the cartoon, they created the fish guy from Hellboy in a different way and even without your interpretation of the sign its pretty obvious that bounty bug is based on the mentioned mandalorians. Since its made like a cowboys hat I doubt they gave that much thought into the sign on it...its simply a bulls skull. Also highly doubt they based the belt of Leech Lord on a creature from a written and buyable adventure from Ravenloft. Thats just too far off.

Sure, the devl is in the detail and I love most of the mutants made so far...also hope they give all future Mutants the same effort as those already created but lets rather enjoy how they look and play the game than ramble about some sort of conspiracy in the way they animate and draw their mutants ^^

I tried the throw something out there to discuss that wasn't a bunch of crying and complaining. And yeah most of the more obvious mutants have had their inspiration identified in other places, but oh well EXCUUUUUUSE ME LOL. I don't get the conspiracy jab either. It wasn't my intention to convey any kind of displeasure or to make claims of conspiracy. There is a freaking mutant that is Yoda, it's OBVIOUS many of the mutants are inspired by other media. Are you seriously trying to inform me that "...most of the creatures on Mutants are overdrawn from all kinds of Games, Movies and anime" when there is a reactor based on such iconic and recognizable comic book superheros such as the Hulk, Batman, and Spawn? Thanks captain obvious lol. Just trying to have a little fun, and BS about some mutants. There is no conspiracy. I LOVE the way the mutants are drawn and animated...and I love the fact that they are based off of characters that I have known and followed for a long time. "The Devil is in the Details" is just a figure of speech... it refers to a catch or mysterious element hidden in the details, which in my opinion Kobojo has done an excellent job of pulling off.

And not to be a dick...but the Bounty Bug is not wearing mandalorian armor, which is very specific. Even though its customizable, it's supposed to be pretty uniform among mandalorians...maybe the devs cannot make it more recognizable because of copyrights, but I still don't see hardly any resemblance other than him having blasters on his hips...I think Brian Rooney is right about Cad Bane.

So anyway, here are a few more for the list. Now keep in mind that these are indeed my interpretations. I am not and don't claim to be a game dev or designer, nor do I have the inside track on the real story behind the mutants. Or am I making any claims of conspiracy or rip-off.

The Darkseer --- The Shrike from Hyperion with a little Nightmare from soul calibur mixed in...well maybe a lot of soul calibur mixed in. And while we're on soul calibur...the girl power Blade Banshee --- Ivy from soul calibur

Zomborg --- Mojo from Marvel Comics

Planet Cleaner --- Space Pirate from metroid prime...there are others like it, and maybe closer comparisons, but Metroid's space pirates are the first thing I personally think of.

Colossus --- DC Comic's Doomsday. Being engineered explains his cyber gene, and the fact that he is from Krypton explains the galactic gene.

Tutti Gooey --- The Thing...from the Kurt Russel movie.

Brian Rooney
12-24-2013, 12:08 AM
Cool.
The Thing looks like a damn necromorph.